About Turnaround Interview ®
Montana’s wildly popular Turnaround Interview® program teaches managers and supervisors the secrets techniques for getting an employee to break a bad habit WITHOUT USING DISCIPLINE.
Turnaround Interview® is the perfect solution for lateness, minor quality or documentation problems, procedural violations, excessive personal phone calls, dress code problems, extended breaks, negative attitudes, and minor safety violations.
Based on sound psychological principles, Turnaround Interview® accepts that most people will defend their behavior even when down deep they know it’s wrong. Their defensive tactics have been practiced since childhood and are perfected by the time people enter the workforce. Turnaround Interview® teaches supervisors how to use four steps that anticipate and break down the natural defensiveness and obtain a commitment. It teaches a technique for enhancing that commitment so that the employee will not be comfortable ignoring the promises made.
Turnaround Interview® is an exciting, practical course, full of carefully crafted strategies for using body language, voice control, and carefully chosen phrases to control a potentially tricky conversation.
Turn off your people problems – not your people – with Turnaround Interview®.
1. Do you have any Turnaround Interview® workshops coming up?
Click on “Scheduled Courses and Registration” on the right side of this page for upcoming workshops. NOTE: Turnaround Interview® workshops in Montréal and Québec are conducted by our licensed partner, Fortuna Groupe Conseil. Click here for information about Fortuna’s upcoming sessions in these areas. Also, our partner Excellence in Manufacturing Consortium has a number of workshops scheduled in Ontario that are open to non-members of the Consortium. These workshops will be conducted for EMC by Montana instructors. Click here for a list of EMC offerings.
2. How late can I register for a seminar?
Pre-registration is always recommended so as to ensure you have a seat. You may register at the door if space is available. If you have not pre-registered, please call 1-800-310-8168 to confirm availability.
3. What is the cancellation policy?
If you cannot attend, you are welcome to substitute another coworkers or friend at any time.
Because course arrangements and costs are locked in well prior to the course date, if you fail to appear for the scheduled course or cancel within 5 business days of the course, there is no refund. If you cancel within 5-10 business days of the scheduled course, we will provide a 50% refund. If you cancel within 11-15 business days of the scheduled course, we will provide a 75% refund. If you cancel more than 15 business days before the scheduled course, we will provide a full refund, less a $30 fee to cover administrative costs.
Amounts forfeited under the cancellation policy [other than a $30 administration fee] can be applied as a credit for up to two years towards any Montana HR Services product or workshop.
4. What if I can’t attend, can I send someone else in my place?
Absolutely, we can make substitutions at any time. Just call 1-800-310-8168 and we’ll take care of the details.
5. Will I receive course materials?
You will never leave a Montana HR Services course empty handed. We pride ourselves on offering exceptional value for your training dollar. Each registrant will receive a TI Quick Reference Guide, a full workbook that includes an aide memoire, reproducible tracking forms, and detailed case studies relevant to your workplace. Participants also receive access to our special online web-forum for continued support.
6. If I need special accommodations, what should I do?
All of our seminars are held in facilities that are handicap accessible. If you have other needs, please contact us at 1-800-310-8168 at least two weeks prior to the seminar and we will make sure that every possible accommodation is made to ensure your complete comfort and success.
7. What should I wear?
Casual business wear is appropriate and recommended. Our TI™ seminars are highly involved and you will spend at least half of your time actively involved in role-play practice or activities.
A light sweater is recommended as seminar rooms tend to be quite cool.
8. What about parking?
Parking is not provided. All of the properties we work with have onsite parking. Some have a negotiated rate with Montana HR Services. Be sure to inquire with the parking attendant about a preferred parking rate when you pay.
9. What payment methods do you accept?
Montana HR Services accepts Visa, MC, and Amex. We also accept payment by cheque or money order made payable – Montana HR Services Inc .
Prepay – to prepay for Turnaround Interview simply download and complete the registration form available on this website. Please include your credit card information. Fax the completed form to (506) 382-5246.
Invoice – Invoices for Turnaround Interview available by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 1-800-310-8168. Please include your full name and company information in your request.
Door – You may pay at the door with Visa, MC, Amex or cheque.
Receipts for all transactions will be issued at the door unless otherwise requested.
10. How do I obtain verification of attendance for reporting purposes?
All attendees receive a certificate of attendance at the end of the seminar which may be used to verify your participation for meeting professional education requirements
11. Can this work in a unionized operation?
Of course, Turnaround Interview was first developed and delivered in a unionized environment. We have introduced TI to many unionized organizations. In fact, Turnaround Interview has been instrumental in building collaborative working relationships in some of our clients. Because Turnaround Interview works best as a one-on-one discussion care has to be taken to avoid triggering mandatory steward representation provisions in your collective agreement. TI is guaranteed not to be disciplinary therefore this is usually a simple matter. US clients appreciate that TI is designed to avoid triggering Weingarten rights. In the unlikely event that steward representation is required in all meeting with management we can teach you ways to use TI so that it will work even in the presence of the third party.
12. Do you run a train-the-trainer program with Turnaround Interview?
We are working on a train-the-trainer program currently. We expect it to be available soon. Call us at 1-800-310-8168 or email us at email@example.com for more information.
13. Does Turnaround Interview work for all offenses?
Isolated minor problems are better dealt with informally. TI is designed for situations when this kind of behaviour has become more habitual. Very serious misconduct still requires the use of discipline or even dismissal. You should think of TI as a way to deal with bad habits in good people.
14. What makes TI different from other coaching techniques?
With TI you learn how to work through the natural human tendency to be defensive about your own habits. Also, TI uses positive motivation (personal pride and a desire for acceptance) instead of negative motivation (fear of future punishment).
15. Can use TI even if my company doesn’t?
Absolutely. TI is a way to communicate one-on-one and draw out a genuine measureable commitment to change.
But when TI is used by an entire organization, it becomes even more powerful. TI can be used to maintain an employee friendly culture and can undermine an “us versus them” mindset.
16. Can you do an in-house TI workshop in my workplace?
Yes, until recently that is how all of our TI workshops operated. Please call us for pricing and details 1-800-310-8168.
17. Does Turnaround Interview qualify me for points toward my CHRP recertification?
Yes, participating in the Turnaround interview workshop earns you upto 10 points per day for a total of 20 points toward your CHRP certification. Note : The points vary by province, contact your provincial organization for more details.
Turnaround Interview® News
Awards and Achievements
- Nominated for Best Innovation in Human Resources 2010 – Atlantic Canadian Human Resources Awards.
- Top 10 Presentations - Congrès de L’Ordre des conseillers en ressources humaines agréés 2009
TI® in Organizational Integration
- Canadian College of Health Service Executives – Recognized as approved course of certification
- Excellence in Manufacturing Consortium: Canada’s Largest Association of Manufacturers – part of the 2011 Professional Learning Program for Industry Managers
- L’Ordre des conseillers en ressources humaines agréés – part of 2011 Professional Learning Program
- Health Association of Nova Scotia – part of 2010 & 2011 Professional Learning Program for Health Care Professionals
- Adopted as a recurring course by all hospital corporations in New Brunswick, 2010.
- Adopted as a recurring course by Le Centre hospitalier universitaire de Québec, 2011.
TI® in Conferences
- Le Centre hospitalier universitaire de Québec (CHUQ) Congrès - September 2011
- British Columbia Human Resources Management Conference, Vancouver BC – April 2011
- Congrès des Matinées Lanaudoises 2010, Charlevoix, QC - April 2010
- Saskatchewan Association of Human Resources Professionals Conference, Regina SK – October 27-29, 2010
- Featured in the presentation Culture Forming Practices: A Breakthrough Approach for Workplace Culture Change at the Atlantic Human Resources Conference, Fredericton NB – October 2010
What you'll learn
- Why habits are so hard to break.
- Why and how people defend bad habits.
- Secrets for keeping control of the conversation.
- Dozens of excuses and evasions and how to get past them.
- How to avoid acting like a nagging parent
- How to get a concrete, measurable commitment.
- How to triple your chance of success by using pride as a motivator.
- How to respond to an employee who bluntly refuses to change.
“This is the best workshop I have attended in quite some time – based on sound theory & case law but a “how to” approach with guidance on the actual event”
School Board Attendance Case Specialist
“The best seminar I have attended. I will use this technique frequently“
Airport General Manager“This has been the best HR seminar I have attended thus far. This tool ispriceless!”
Credit Union Assistant General Manager
“It is truly the best presentation and training that I’ve ever participated in!”
School District Vice-Principal
“This has been one of the best training experiences I have ever had.”
Power company Work methods/Safety Coordinator
“Excellent, would recommend it to all of our frontline managers at thehospital“
Hospital HR Advisor
“The best course I have taken in years”
Municipal Senior Project Manager, Information Technology